Wawa Construction site at Beekman Road
When I moved to Franklin Park 28 years ago, it didn't take long to notice that new strip malls were being built even as existing ones had space available. So I've decided to chronicle the business in this area. Who's opening up and who's closing? I have chosen this stretch of Route 27 from Finnegans Lane to Route 518 (also labeled Georgetown Franklin Turnpike on maps), about 3.4 miles of road by Google Maps calculations. It's a fairly manageable area to cover and still has some room for building. In future posts, I plan to get more into why business owners choose to select the space they're in.
The area is also interesting in that Route 27 marks the boundary between Somerset and Middlesex Counties and between Franklin Township and South Brunswick. Much of this area is Kendall Park on the South Brunswick side and Franklin Park on the Franklin Township side. Municipal regulations may make a difference in which side of Route 27 a business owner chooses to set up shop.
- Wawa is building a new store at the intersection with Beekman Road, about 3 miles south of the Wawa convenience store in North Brunswick
- Stein Mart has started its store-closing sale
- The Potting Shed, a florist at the intersection of Clover Place, has closed
- Another recent closing is the shoe repair business at the intersection of Claremont Road
- "Coming Soon" signs are up in Riya Plaza for Les Delices Bakery, Pie Five Pizza, Kwality Ice Cream and Rita Dance Academy (Rita Dance Academy from Finnegans Lane)
- 32 empty storefronts, nine of them at Franklin Town Centre; five of them at the property behind IHOP; and eight at the Riya Plaza, a new strip mall at the intersection with Finnegan's Lane, but four of those of signs for businesses that are "coming soon"
- Eight real estate offices
- Eight banks, including the PNC Bank branch located in Stop & Shop
- Six dry cleaners
- Five pharmacies including the one in Stop & Shop; two of them are CVS's
- Four houses of worship
- Three day-care/Pre-K schools
- Three tutoring centers
- Three gas stations
- Three liquor stores
Related link: Stein Mart Closing Franklin Park Store In October
Let me know what's going on in your business on Route 27 between Finnegan's Lane and Route 518. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org